We completed Week 2 of our four-week “bootcamp” on June 29th, focusing on Effective Communication.
An ability to communicate effectively is essential to building high performing teams and generating business results. Good leaders are good communicators, whether meeting with colleagues in person, presenting to a group of executives, or sending emails.
- Clear writing requires clear thinking—you can’t have one without the other
- Inspiring writing is essential in becoming a more effective leader
- Email responses should be action-oriented and time-based, regardless of length
- Short reply emails (under 10 words) take moments but can be highly effective
- “Longer Reply” emails should include bullets and sub-bullets
- Remember: email is not an effective form of communication when facing a controversial issue.
Here’s this week’s homework assignment. Feel free to do it and let me know how it goes:
- Find at least 5 opportunities to frame longer emails with bullet points
- Shorten longer emails by removing $10 words, shortening wordy sentences and sections
- Find at least 5 opportunities to do “Quick Reply” emails
- Record what you learn
If you’re interested in joining our next “bootcamp” in September or have any questions about this week’s session, please contact me at email@example.com.
Stay tuned for next week’s recap of Week 3, Team Building.